Saturday, August 21, 2010
Beets, Greens & Quinoa!
This was a lot of fun to make. C was writing one of her many stories while I played in the kitchen. She's so creative :)
Mmmmm, look at those beautiful, colourful veggies! So gorgeous, as food should be.
1 bunch beets, sliced
2 large carrots, sliced
1 bunch beet greens, chopped, stems removed
1 bunch kale, chopped, stems removed
1-2tbs coconut oil, for frying
1 cup quinoa, dry
2 cups water
1/2 jar of your favourite pasta sauce (I like Simply Natural)
Oregano, dried, to taste
Basil, dried, to taste
sea salt & pepper, to taste
4 cloves garlic, minced
1) Combine quinoa & water in a medium-sized pot. Bring to a boil. Stir, reduce heat to minimum, & cover until water is absorbed & quinoa is fluffy (about 20 mins).
2) Meanwhile, warm coconut oil over medium heat in a large pot. Toss in sliced beets & carrots, allowing to cook until tender (about 6-8 mins).
3) Add beet greens & kale to beets & carrots. Stir occasionally, allowing greens to wilt slightly.
4) When quinoa is cooked, stir in pasta sauce, minced garlic, & seasonings to taste. Also season beets & greens, if desired.
5) Toss quinoa with stirfried veggies & greens, mixing well.
6) Scoop into a bowl & serve!
peace, love, food <3