Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Cheezy Pasta Bake




There's this awesome customer who brings my co-workers and other customers free-range eggs from a farm, and vegetables grown by prison inmates almost daily. I don't eat eggs, but I'm happy to eat any veggie that's offered. He continuosly brings me zuchinnis almost as long as my arm, as well as many cucumbers and green peppers. Eating them the same way every time would make me hate them, so I'm getting creative :)

As inventive as I like to be, I also don't always have the luxury of using fresh ingredients in my cooking. Canned food is much cheaper, and I'm a huge fan of cheap.

I had an onion, zuchinni, and green pepper that needed to be used up, as well as many random ingredients in my fridge. Here is what I created:

Cheezy Pasta Bake

Ingredients
one package of macaroni noodles (or penne)
jar of your favourite prepared pasta sauce
one white onion, chopped
one zucchini, chopped
one green pepper, chopped
about one cup of chopped, marinated, artichoke hearts
one cup of chopped, marinated, sun-dried tomatoes
6-8 soy cheese slices
lots of garlic
onion powder
sea salt
pepper
coconut oil, for frying
Directions:
1) Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain water and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Meanwhile, in a large pot or wok, fry garlic, onion, green pepper, and zuchinni in coconut oil over medium heat. Season with onion powder, sea salt, and pepper to taste. When vegetables are nicely browned, add pasta sauce.
3) Combine cooked pasta and vegetable sauce in large casserole dish, stirring to mix well. Flatten out, and top with soy cheese slices.
4) Put casserole dish in the oven until soy cheese melts (about 15-20 minutes).

If you're a loyal vegweb.com follower, you might recognize this recipe; I created and posted it there as well.

Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment