Friday, January 8, 2010

Cheezy Stuffed Peppers & Mixed Greens with Avocado-Orange Dressing


Soooooo I had a few things that needed to be used up right away. These included peppers, some almonds that had been soaked & dried and remained in my fridge, as well as an avocado. I had been contemplating all week what to do with them, and it all just kinda came to me at once. So glad it was a last minute thing, because I thoroughly enjoyed my lunch :) And it only took minutes (as raw food usually does).

First, I made the peppers. I used nutritional yeast in the "stuffing." Though this isn't technically raw, it's one of the few vegan sources for Vitamin B12. Plus I like it's "cheezy" flavour :) But when I had the peppers by themselves on the plate, they just looked "blah". I like my plate to be colorful, so I put some mixed baby greens & sliced crimini mushrooms on it. I usually eat my salads topped with hemp seeds, balsamic vinegar, and Vega's EFA oil blend, because it's full of good fats. I never ever buy salad dressing. The concept of pouring a concoction of sugar & chemicals on a healthy salad just always seemed odd to me. I've made my own salad dressing before, but I've been pretty comfortable with the oil & vinegar lately. Today, though, I was craving something citrus-y...I have a huge box of mandarin oranges, so I had the citrus...and then BAM! Avocado :) Ohhhh myyyy, wait 'til you try this incredible dressing!


Stuffed Peppers
Ingredients:
1 1/2 peppers, halved & de-seeded
3/4 cup almonds, (soaked overnight, then dried)
1/4 + 2tbs sunflower kernels (soaked overnight, then dried) (TBH, mine were dry. If that's all you have, go for it)
1 tbs nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup + 2tbs water

Directions:
1) Toss almonds, sunflower seeds, nutritional yeast, and sea salt in a food processor until it is a chunky-ish powder. Add water and continue to process.
2) Scoop "stuffing" into peppers. You're done!

Salad
Ingredients:
2 cups mixed baby greens (I buy a cheap tub of organic greens from Save-On-Foods)
4-5 crimini mushrooms, sliced
Dressing:
1 small orange
1/2 an avocado

Directions:
1) Toss orange & avocado into a blender & puree.
2) Pour onto salad and devour :)

I should also mention that you can save the other half of an avocado in your fridge, as long as it's wrapped and still has the pit in it. I didn't know that for the longest time, until someone told me. Just thought I'd share the info :)

2 comments:

Ivo Serentha and Friends said...

My compliment for your blog and pictures included,I encourage you to photoblog

CLICK PHOTOSPHERA

Even week another photo album

Greetings from Italy,

Marlow

Char said...

wow, you are from Italy?! Thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it! I am so glad you like my blog.

Post a Comment