Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Fabulously Rawsome Cheeze Cake :)

Gluten, dairy, egg, soy, sugar-free? Oh yeah, I did. Honestly, though, I used another of Ani's recipes as a guide (though I changed a couple ingredients). Just finished my second piece, and WOW :) I have never ever made a vegan cheesecake, let alone a raw one. (I have eaten raw cheesecake at restaurants, though.) This one takes the cake. Seriously a masterpiece. I really don't have words to describe how amazingly yummy this is. The bottom "crust" is delicate, sweet, savoury, and chewy. The "filling" is creamy, with a hint of lemon-y flavour. My first testers were a girl I work with and her mom. They looooved it!! Be prepared, though; I didn't realize until I was going along and making it, that this is an expensive cake to make. Everytime it called for something else I was like "craaaaaaaaaaap!!" but it's totally worth it if you're not flat broke. (Pretty sure making a regular cheesecake would cost about the same). If I had to take a wild guess, it was probably around $10-$15. But hey, I love cake :) Plus, it only took about 20 minutes, so why not? Celiacs, vegans, lactose-intolerants, and diabetics could sit down and enjoy this together. Share the love <3

Ingredients:
Crust:
1 1/2 cups pecans
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup dates, pitted
1/4 cup shredded coconut

Filling:
3 cups cashews
3/4 cup lemon juice (from about 6 lemons)
3/4 cup agave nectar
3/4 cup coconut oil
1tbs vanilla extract
1/2 cup water

Directions:
1) In a food processor, process the pecans and salt until the nuts are in small pieces. Slowly add the dates, processing until well-combined.
2) "Flour" the bottom of a pan with the shredded coconut. (Recipe says springform, I used metal cake pan. Use whatever you happen to find, though it should be deep.) Spread the pecan/date mixture evenly over the coconut, pressing to make the bottom "crust."
3) Blend all filling ingredients together until kreamy, and spread over the crust. Place cake in freezer for at least 3 hours.
4) Once frozen, remove cake from the freezer. Transfer to a serving plate, and let sit in fridge for an hour before serving.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment