Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Roasted Acorn Squash Soup & Homemade Bread


I love generous friends, especially when they share their vegetables :) One of my classmates brought me an acorn squash from her garden, and I had it for awhile, contemplating on what I should do with it. Obviously, I decided on soup.

I also have a breadmaker, and have used it several times to make a whole wheat barley bread. (Considering I've had it more than a year, I should start trying more recipes...). Anyhoo, I made this yummy creation for mine and my boyfriend's Christmas dinner. It had just the perfect amount of spice: good comfort food, and really good when you're sick. I hope you enjoy it :)

Ingredients:
1 small acorn squash, peeled and diced
2 cups vegetable broth, approx.
1/2 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon ginger
2 tablespoons tabasco sauce (optional)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
sea salt, to taste

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350. Place diced squash on parchment paper, over baking pan. Place baking pan in oven, and let roast for 50 minutes to an hour. Remove from oven.
2) In your slow cooker (unless you wanna do this in a pot, have at it), saute garlic & onion in coconut oil until fragrant. Meanwhile, toss your roasted squash into a food processor with veggie broth and give it a spin. Depending on how chunky you want it, you can add more or less broth.
3) Add blended squash & broth to your slow cooker. Mix in remaining ingredients, and stir well.
4) Leave soup to cook for about 4 hours, on the high option. Turn it down lower if you want it to take longer. I waited until my soup was browning on the top edges and was bubbling.
5) Serve with warm bread and (vegan!) butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment