Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Simple, Delicious, Kale Salad

Sometimes, all I want are some simple, yummy greens. I have to balance out the goodies I eat; my digestive system needs a break once in awhile :P Even though all the treats I eat are made from dates & nuts, your body needs veggies & fruits to keep things "moving smoothly." If you don't get what I mean, I'm not going into detail ;)
Kale is one of the best greens for you; it is packed with calcium, folate, vitamins K,A & C, beta-carotene, etc. I could seriously go on and on about kale.
The darker the green, the more nutrients it has, the better it is for you. Kale is one of the darker greens, and one you can definitely benefit from adding to your diet.
The use of avocado is not only to help soften the leaves, but also to add a small amount of fat. While so many people panic at the thought of "fat," what they don't realize is that, without it, you aren't absorbing any nutrients from your veggies. Sooo, that fat-free italian dressing you ordered with your mixed greens? That sugar-syrup isn't helping you absorb the fat-soluble vitamins from your beautiful veggies.
That being said, it has to be the right kind of fat. Animal fats (from meat & dairy), are harmful to cholesterol levels and will clog your arteries. Fats from plants (in moderation), will actually help lower cholesterol levels. They also help regulate your metabolism, and keep you feeling satiated.
Fat does not make you fat. The wrong kinds of fat will make you fat, but it's the same deal with carbohydrates. I get my protein from nuts & seeds; it is very, very rare that I eat tofu or grains. Ummm, I am definitely not fat, though I eat my fair share of it. The vitamins & proteins keep my skin clear & firm, and don't cause me to bloat, as they are easy on my digestive system.
So, once again, I promise you: fat does not make you fat! Eat your greens; eat your fat. Be healthy, feel beautiful.

From my kitchen, to yours <3

Ingredients:
1 bunch lacinto kale, chopped (or green kale, whatevs tickles your fancy)
1/4 avocado, mashed
sea salt, to taste
original herbamare, to taste

Directions:
1) Massage avocado evenly into kale.
2) Sprinkle liberally with sea salt & herbamare.
3) Devour.

**In case you are still unaware of what Herbamare is, it is a mixture of sea salt & dehydrated veggies. It has an incredible taste that is a must-try addition to your dishes! Affordable & yummy, don't give it a miss ;)

***On a side note, I've been reading a bit about black sesame seeds: In 3 tablespoons, they contain a whopping 25% of your daily calcium needs, and 60% of your iron needs!! How's that for superfood?? They are also, apparently, supposed to be great at restoring colour to grey hair!! Ummmm, unfortunately (though I'm only 22 going on 23), I have quite a collection. Soooo, these super seeds are on my salad today, and they will be everyday until I get my colour back!! I will keep you posted ;)

Cheers, loves!

Char

No comments:

Post a Comment