Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Chili Cheese Not Dog Casserole!!

Soooooo, I am a University student, & I also work for the School District. After an entire summer of not working, & now paying for tuition, I am putting myself on a budget. As much as I loved eating pretty much exclusively smoothies, fruit & veggies for the last 4 months...rice & beans are cheaper :) But fear not! I am going to make this fun! :D
My mom bought a big package of not dogs awhile ago, but wasn't really a fan of them so she handed them off to me. I figured...mix 'em with some rice & beans, a little nooch & some seasonings, & I've got a filling, yummy meal! Oh, guess what? I was right! :D My brother haaaates hot dogs, real or not. But he looooves my casserole :)
To balance things out, I ate mine with a big salad. As much as I'm trying to cut back, I definitely need to eat some veggies & fruit everyday. (Gotta keep things "moving," hehe.) If you're feeling like a kid, drizzle some ketchup into your casserole :D Enjoy, foodies!




Ingredients:
1 cup brown basmati rice, uncooked
2 1/2 cups water
1 tbs coconut oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 not dogs, chopped (I use Yves Cuisine)
1 tbs Earth Balance butter
1 can tomato sauce, 398ml
2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 can kidney beans, drained, 540mls


Directions:
1) Put rice & water into your rice cooker & allow to cook until fluffy. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Meanwhile, in a frying pan over medium heat, fry the garlic & not dogs in coconut oil until golden brown. Remove from heat & set aside.
3) When rice is cooked, stir in the Earth Balance until evenly coated. Add the tomato sauce, Cajun seasoning, & nutritional yeast. Continue stirring until evenly coated.
4) Stir in the not dogs & beans. Bake @ 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until golden.
5) Serve to hungry bellies :)

Peace, love, food & budgets <3

Char, xo

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds very "interesting" haha.. I've never tried veggie hot dogs before!! Not sure if I will either! haha

I can't remember if I asked you, but what are you taking in school?

Char said...

This is really yummy!
I don't often eat veggie "meats," only because they're so processed. However, it is better than eating horse lips & pigs' butts :)
The veggie dogs taste really good. My sister (who isn't a vegetarian), eats them, & also fed them to her friends. They had no idea!

westcoastsoul said...

Sounds yummy! I love beans, and I can see myself eating a lot of them this year as a poor student. It's my first year cooking and not eating at the dining hall.

Char said...

I'm in this with ya, chicky! I've never been able to afford the dining hall.

btw, love Amy's soups? You can get an 8-pack of them from Costco for $12.99 ;)

Post a Comment