Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

SUSHI!!! Raw Avocado Roll

Soooo, I didn't take an 'after' photo of the sushi roll, because my knife & I both suck at slicing sushi :) I promise this was delish anyway!
I don't remember what food blog I was creeping, but I got the idea to use daikon as the "rice" for sushi & was way stoked. I have to be honest, though: this was reeaally tasty, but I don't think I can give up my real rice sushi rolls yet :) Avocado & ginger rolls are my fave, so this is how I improvised. Roll with me, foodies ;)

Ingredients:
1 medium daikon, about 12oz, chopped
1-2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp agave
vegan mayo, to taste (I like Vegenaise, or raw mayo)
leafy greens (optional, because I'm a green monster. rawr.)
1 avocado, peeled, pitted & sliced
3 nori sheets
Bragg's, for serving

Directions:
1) In your food processor, process daikon, ginger, rice vinegar & agave until daikon resembles rice.
2) On a sushi roller, lay down a nori sheet, shiny side down. Leave about an inch of space from the edge, & spread 1/3 of the "rice" over a space of about 2 inches (refer to photo).
3) Spread mayo over the "rice," to taste. Top with optional greens, & then avocado.
4) Hold the edge of the nori sheet to the sushi mat firmly, yet gently. Pull it up & over the filling, rolling tightly.
5) Move sushi to a cutting board, & use a *sharp* knife to slice it into 8 slices.
6) Repeat steps 2-5 for the remaining nori sheets. Serve sushi rolls with Bragg's seasoning.

peace, love, food & sushi <3
Char, xo

2 comments:

Simply Life said...

i've never made my own sushi but would love to try - this looks great!

Char said...

it's a lot of fun :) definitely a patience tester, haha

Post a Comment