Monday, April 11, 2011
Chocolate Cake w/ Almond Butter Cream Cheese Icing
A big thank you to all who are going vegan for a day in honour of my birthday!! Much love to you all :) <3
It has been 4 years since I had a birthday cake. Before going vegan, my parents always made sure I had one to celebrate with, but when I went vegan, we didn't have any bakeries around that made vegan cakes. And now that there is one... I discovered that it costs $60 to have a vegan cake made :| no matter how badly I wanted cake, I wasn't paying that much for one... especially when I can make it myself ;)
I unfortunately hadn't realized that I was out of gluten-free flour, so I subbed barley flour. However, because of the xantham gum and banana, in this recipe (which help to bind), gluten-free flour can easily be used.
This cake turned out to be dense and moist (though adding a second banana would have made it even more moist), and didn't crumble at all. The banana in it adds a subtly sweet taste :)
original recipe from VegWeb, swapping out only the peanut butter for almond butter. Deeeelish!! Everyone looooved this cake! And yes, I was the only vegan out of 11 people who tasted it. This cake, it impressed. And what do you think about my piping job?? hehe, first time piping and I don't think I did too badly ;)
P.S. VegWeb pretty much saved my life when I went vegan! It's a great community of members, with tons of recipes containing photos and reviews. Still one of my favourite resources :)
So what are you waiting for? Get your oven mitts on and get a cake happening ;)
From my kitchen to yours <3
For the Cake:
2 cups barley flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp xantham gum
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
pinch sea salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 cups almond mylk, plain/unsweetened
1 large ripe banana, peeled and mashed
1 tbs vanilla
1) Mix together first seven ingredients until well-combined. Make a well and add in remaining ingredients.
2) Use electric beater to beat the batter well.
3) Pour prepared batter into cake pan and bake @ 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
4) Let stand for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before icing.
For the icing:
Ingredients: 4 oz Tofutti 'Better than Cream Cheese'
1/2 cup creamy almond butter
6 tbs Earth Balance margarine, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tbs vanilla extract
1) Using an electric mixer, cream together all ingredients until smooth. Spread evenly on cake or pipe it. Keep refrigerated until consumption.
peace, love, cake & icing <3