Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cheezy Baked Zuchinni


Normally I would have done this with, say, macaroni & mushrooms or something. But I had already chopped A LOT of zuchinnni, that was sitting in my fridge threatening to go bad. There was way too much to just "add" to pasta or stirfry, so I went crazy. I also had some soy mozza cheese and creamer needing to be used up. I'm going to apologize, once again, because these measurements are VERY rough estimates. I can't tell you how much I hate measuring things. I'm way better at figuring it out on my own. But here goes:


ingredients:


about 2 chopped zuchinnis

1 tablespoon coconut oil

2-3 tablespoons soy margarine

1 tablespoon mustard powder

2 teaspoons garlic salt

2 cloves minced garlic

potato flour (any flour will do, it's just great for thickening sauces & I had it on hand)

2 cups soy creamer/soy milk

2 teaspoons sea salt

1 teaspoon white pepper

half a block (4 ounces) soy mozza
1/2 cup nutritional yeast

1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs


directions


1) Boil zuchinni for about 5 minutes in a large pot of water. Drain and set aside.

2) In a sauce pan, add coconut oil. Once melted, melt soy butter in it. Add minced garlic, and let it brown. Whisk in flour, garlic salt, and mustard powder. Gradually add soy creamer/soy milk (I used a mixture of both), and season with sea salt & white pepper. To thicken, add the soy mozza and nutritional yeast, whisking until melted. If it's too thick, add more soy milk. If it's too runny, either add more flour or nutritional yeast.

3) In a casserole dish, combine zuchinni with "cheeze" sauce, and sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Bake at 350 degrees about 35minutes, until sauce is bubbly, zuchinni is tender and brown, and bread crumbs are browned.


I'm not the biggest fan of soy cheese unless it's cooked right. This is super yummy :) Also, in case you're wondering about the mustard powder, it somehow brings out more of the cheesy flavour in nutritional yeast. Don't forget to add it! :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment