Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Spicy-Sweet Stuffed Peppers


I had 3 green peppers, as well as one red pepper needing to be used, and then I was handed two more green peppers today....rather than hand them off (hey, it's free food!), I brainstormed. I absolutely LOVE stuffed peppers, so I put myself to work. I pretty much don't ever measure anything, though, so my recipes are mostly estimates; sorry! Just add more of what you like, and less of what you don't.


ingredients:


4 peppers (any colour)

3 cups cooked rice

garlic

half an onion, diced

finely chopped marinated chipotle pepper (I got mine from a can)

1/4 cup of nutritional yeast (yellow, flaky stuff that tastes like cheese)

tamari or soy sauce

sea salt

raisins

pumpkin seeds

coconut oil, for frying


directions:


once the rice was cooked (mwahaha, rice cooker!!), I fried the garlic, onion, and chipotle pepper in a pan. Once browned, I added the nutritional yeast and sea salt. I blended it, then added the rice and raisins. I let it fry a bit to get the rice kinda crispy, while i cut the peppers in half and seeded them. I had the tabasco sauce ready for use, but realized it was spicy enough without it. So, instead, I added the tamari to the rice, mixed it, and began stuffing my peppers. Topped with pumpkin seeds and brushed with canola oil, into the 350 degree oven they went for 20 minutes.


These are ahhhhhmazing! The raisins and chipotle peppers balance each other out perfectly. And nutritional yeast is one of the few vegan sources of B12, and an awesome power food. If you haven't tried it yet, you'll love it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment