Pages

Sunday, October 25, 2009

STICKY RICE!!


MMMMMMMM!!! I just loooooove working with so many people from different cultures! I learn so much about them, their countries, their traditions, and their FOOD!! This one Filipino lady keeps bringing me sticky rice. I'm so in love with it I had to ask her how to make it. While time consuming (waiting for the rice to cook, and letting the dish set in the fridge), it involves 3 ingredients, is friggin' easy, and SO worth it! Here goes!
Ingredients:
1 & 1/2 cups Thai glutinous sweet rice
2 cans of coconut milk
1/2 cup brown sugar OR maple syrup
optional: cinnamon & nutmeg, to taste
Directions:
1) Put sweet rice into rice cooker with 3 & 1/2 cups of water, and let it do its thing. (Don't have a rice cooker? Figure out your stove, because I suck with rice on the stove!)
2) When rice is cooked, warm coconut milk & brown sugar in a frying pan or wok (I used my electric wok). When it starts to simmer (don't boil it), add all of the rice.
3) Stir rice into the coconut milk, and stir every couple minutes for at least half an hour. The longer you cook it, the softer it will be. Meanwhile, have oven preheating to 350 degrees.
4) Next, spread sticky rice evenly into a baking pan, and place in preheated oven for about one hour. Once finished, remove and let cool for 10 mins, before chilling in the fridge.
You can eat this warm from the oven, or cold from the fridge: I like it both ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment