Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

"Grilled" Asparagus with Cheezy Sauce (Raw)


OH. EM. EFF. GEE. This seriously has a bite to it, like sharp cheddar. So deliciously fantastic in every way <3 I took the idea from Ani Phyo's uncook book, but changed the cheezy sauce to make it mine. You must try it this way!!
While nutritional yeast is not a raw product, it is a great source of vitamin B12 (an essential nutrient for vegans), and it lends a yummy, cheesy flavour. This is why I used it in the recipe.
Mustard powder helps lend something to the cheesy flavour, also. (You could also use ordinary mustard, if you don't need it to be totally raw).
I put 4 cloves of garlic in this. If you truly love garlic like I do, follow my lead. If not, use only 2. Your call. Four of us tried this. Two thought it had too much garlic, and the other two (including myself) thought it was perfect.
You don't have to dehydrate the asparagus. It just gives it that "grilled" texture.
After I was done chomping the asparagus, I put my leftover cheezy sauce on top of mixed greens with some Bragg's liquid soy seasoning. MMMMMMMMMMMM!!! I can't even describe the mouth-gasms I had today. So delicious, so versatile. Try it, try it!!

Ingredients:
1 bunch asparagus, chopped
1 tbs olive oil
sea salt, to taste

Sauce:
2-4 cloves garlic
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup sunflower seeds
2 tbs lemon juice, from about one lemon
2 tbs nutritional yeast
1-2 tsps mustard powder
1/4 cup water

Directions:
1) To soften asparagus, dehydrate at 104 degrees for 30mins to an hour. This is optional.
2) Toss asparagus in olive oil and sea salt. Set aside.
3) For the sauce, process garlic and sea salt in a food processor. Add sunflower seeds and continue to process.
4) Add lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and mustard powder. Process, gradually adding water.
5) Arrange asparagus on a plate, and pour sauce on top. Ta-da!! Wasn't that easy? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment