Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

Raw Banana Coconut Kreme Pie

Mmmmmmm, I think I just drooled remembering how this tastes. The flavors in this delicious dessert seem to sink into each other. The crunch of the almonds, the delicate taste of cinammon & maple syrup, the kreamy, frosty center infused with the sweet taste of bananas & coconut.
Bananas are, hands down, my favourite food. If, for some cruel and horrible reason, I could only choose one food to eat for my entirely life, bananas would be it. I was super stoked to see a two-page article the other day, boasting all the incredible benefits of bananas. The article mentions how bananas improve stomach issues, heart problems, clogged arteries, brain function, mood, digestion, and calcium absorption, among other things. Go bananas!!
I had no idea that they elevate serotonin levels in your brain (the "happy hormone"), causing you to feel relaxed and happy. NOW I know why bananas are my comfort food (chocolate is a close second). Oatmeal is also a mood-boosting food.
I was at work the other day, and we had a whole bunch of bananas going bad...a friend and I were pretty upset to hear they were being composted, and asked if we could keep them. I took home about 20 bananas :) For the most part, I've been devouring them as is, but I wanted to have some fun with them, too. (Btw, one of my favourite treats is mashed banana with cashew butter, or any nut/seed butter. YUMMM!!)
I dunno why, but a kreme pie sounded like something totally delicious to make. I've never eaten a cream pie, ever, so I'm not too sure how similar it will taste. I just know this one is fantastic!

Ingredients:
Crust:
1 1/4 cups dry almonds
5 tbs maple syrup
2 tsp cinammon
1/4 tsp sea salt

Filling:
6 ripe bananas
1/2 cup pitted Medjool dates
2-3 tbs shredded coconut
1 tbs vanilla extract

Directions:
1) In a food processor, chop almonds, cinammon, and sea salt until almonds are finely ground. Add in maple syrup, and blend until well-combined.
2) Press crust into the bottom of a cake pan. Set aside.
3) Puree bananas with vanilla extract in food processor until smooth. Add shredded coconut, and process for about 20 seconds. Add dates, and process until smooth.
4) Pour filling on top of crust. Place in freezer until firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment