Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Best.Cookies.EVER.

I call these my "wow" cookies. This is because everytime I introduce someone to them, they are so shocked at how amazingly incredible they are. Never mind being the best vegan cookies, they are just the best cookies! I use these cookies anytime I'm wanting to impress someone, or thank them. Nothing gets a message across better than fresh, home-baked cookies :)
I took these to work the other day. It was my fourth shift at my favourite health food store. The whole staff loved them! Comments like, "best breakfast ever!" and "wow, amazing!" were among the many compliments I recieved. I think my boss had 5 or 6. My supervisor said they even tasted good with toothpaste! (She had just brushed her teeth :P)
There is only one thing that would make them better...and that is if this was actually my recipe. It's not. I have yet to create something equally marvelous, but I'm working on it. This recipe was created by Isa Chandra Moskowitz, author of cookbooks Vegan with a Vengeance, and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. I used the former for this recipe. Seriously, this woman deserves an award (though I think she has some...).
In case you're wondering, no, those are not milk chocolate chips. I bought cheap chocolate chips awhile ago, and it shows...they're still tasty, but lost their colour after being exposed to oxygen for too long. Baking them seemed to further lighten them. I'm not really sure I would actually call that stuff chocolate...but I bought 100% pure chips in a large Costco pack :) So don't worry, I'm well-prepared for more cookies!!
I have tried using brown sugar instead of white, but they just weren't as amazing. (You could, however, substitute an all-purpose gluten-free flour if needed.)Trust me; this is one recipe you do not want to mess with. It was perfectly created for the rest of us to fall in love with.

Ingredients:
1 cup non-hydrogenated margarine (hellooooo, Earth Balance, I love you <3)
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 tbs molasses
1 tbs vanilla extract (I use more than Isa, she uses 2 tsps. I like vanilla.)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup chocolate chips (Isa uses 1 1/2 cups, but I find it hard to form the cookies with that many.)

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Cream margarine & sugar until fluffy. Add in molasses and vanilla extract.
3) Mix in flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Stir until well-incorporated.
4) Lastly, stir in the chocolate chips. Form dough into 2 inches rounds, and place on baking sheet.
5) Check cookies after 8 minutes. If not done yet, leave in for another 2 minutes. Don't leave in much longer, they taste better chewy :)
6) Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool. These taste best when they are warm and fresh from the oven :) mmmmmmmm ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment