Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Cheesy Potatoes w/ Curried Bok Choy & Brussel Sprouts

I love cheesy flavours, and I love curry, and I love stirfries! mmmMMM!!
My last two good food boxes have had more potatoes than I know what to do with. I like potatoes, but I can't eat 5lbs in a month! Anyhoo, I wanted to do something different with them again. I also remembered the baby bok choy in the fridge that was started to wilt. When I went to get it, I saw my mom's sad little brussel sprouts begging to be eaten NOW! yoink!
I kinda just winged this. I threw in whatever sounded like it would taste good and went with it. Every flavour blended perfectly into the next. Sooo yummy!! :)
In case you're wondering about the addition of mustard in the cheesy sauce, trust me; it brings out the cheesy flavour in nutritional yeast. You're unlikely to notice a mustard flavour at all.
I've mentioned before, but I will discuss it again now for any newbies :) Nutritional yeast is not the same as baking yeast, and they can't be used inter-changeably. It is a yellow, flaky fungus that is sold in bulk sections of natural food stores. Among other vitamins and minerals, it is a source of vitamin B12, which is important for vegetarians to actively seek out. It has a cheesy flavour, and melts well. It's a yummy addition to pretty much anything!

Ingredients:
4 medium purple potatoes, chopped
2 cups brussel sprouts, chopped
3 small baby bok choy, chopped
1/2 onion, diced
2-3 tbs nutritional yeast
2 tsps garlic salt
2-3 tbs water
1 tbs dijon mustard (yellow would be yummy, too. I've used it before.)
1 1/2 tbs curry powder
1/4 cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
sea salt, to taste
1 tbs coconut oil, for frying

Directions:
1) In a mixing bowl, whisk together nutritional yeast, garlic salt, water, and mustard. Set aside.
2) Boil potatoes on the stove until tender. Drain water, and put potatoes in a wok over medium heat with coconut oil. Cover potatoes in "cheesy" sauce you created, and stir until coated. Once warmed, remove potatoes from the wok and set aside.
3) Put bok choy, brussel sprouts, onion, curry powder, sea salt, and soy sauce into the wok. Stir to coat veggies well in curry and soy sauce. Continue to cook until tender.
4) On a plate, arrange potatoes on top of your veggie mixture. Now eat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment