Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Kitchen Sink Salad

There is nothing more pure, beautiful and simple than a perfect salad. Rounded out with a variety of veggies, a salad is dense with nutrients, yet light in calories (unless you order the average Creamy Chicken Caesar w/ bacon bits from any restaurant). And because it's packed with fiber, salad fills you up and contributes to healthy weight loss.
This recipe is very simple, but I also think it's very necessary to post. This is typically my go-to salad (though the veggies in it change depending on what's hiding in my fridge). I eat salad everyday, and it's usually for lunch. To be honest, it's pretty much all I need to fill me up (though once in awhile I need an extra piece of fruit).
The most common thing I hear from people is, "I want to go raw, but I just don't have the time." Well, everyone can benefit from adding just a little bit to their diet. Start by snacking on bananas, apples & oranges; snack on celery sticks, cucumber slices, & carrot sticks (pleeaase not the chlorine-soaked baby carrots!); add a salad to your lunch/dinner. It's really that easy to eat raw foods. You don't need to have a food processor, blender, or dehydrator; they're just fun to have. For the most part, I snack on foods that haven't had anything done to them. I eat an apple, I dip mushrooms in Bragg's soy sauce, I eat avocado w/ sea salt & a spoon, chomp on a carrot stick (What's up, Doc?), etc. So so so easy! You CAN do it!! :) I made excuses for 2 years, and I finally just went for it! lovelovelove my new lifestyle!
Btw, my use of Vega EFA Antioxidant Oil Blend in salads is for several good reasons; first of all, it tastes freakin' amazing. Second, the antioxidants fight off free radicals in your body like knights slaying dragons. There are approximately 9,523,462 other reasons why, but I'll let this article do the talking for me :) Check it out!

P.S. It's called Kitchen Sink Salad, because you add everything except the kitchen sink ;)

From my kitchen, to yours:

Ingredients:
3 cups of greens (any will do, but the darker, the better)
1 large carrot, chopped
1 baby zuchinni, chopped
1 baby bell pepper, chopped
1 handful bean sprouts
1 tbs Vega EFA Antioxidant Oil Blend
1 tbs balsamic vinegar

Directions:
1) Mix like salad.
2) Eat.

Char xo

No comments:

Post a Comment