Pages

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Berry Chocolate-y Vega Cookies

I don't think you could possibly know how hard it was to stop eating these. You know when you buy those protein bars, & they taste okay/pretty good, but they're not your favourite? Umm, yeah, these are not them. The best part? No tummy cramps after! (I have a tendency to over-indulge in raw goodies, & always end up with a bloated tummy & stomach pains. I definitely had my fill of these, but noooooo tummy pains!!)
These cookies were seriously the easiest to form! I've never worked with raw cookies so well before. I pressed them into the shape of the cookie cutter, and then they slid right out! Awesome. I used black sesame seeds in this recipe for their calcium, iron, & supposed "magic effects" that should take away my grey hairs. *sigh* It's true. I've been getting them since I was 17. But I am a firm believer that everything can be fixed with food! :D
Btw, did you know that cancer cannot survive in an alkaline environment? Uh huh! I'm never getting cancer!!
I also used ground flaxseed, and it's been such a long time since I've used it. Ohhh myyy, opening my brand new bag, the air was filled with what smelled like almond butter!! Mmmmmm, it has been waaaay too long since I've eaten flaxseed! It was an amazing addition to these cookies.
I modified a recipe from Brendan Brazier's The Thrive Diet to create these. It's still pretty similar, though. As you may remember, I suck at following directions: I'm a rule-breaker ;) But if I wasn't, I wouldn't have so many of my own recipes, now would I? :)

From my kitchen, to yours <3

Ingredients:
1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
1/4 cup almonds, soaked
1/4 cup frozen berries (I used blueberries, blackberries, & raspberries)
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
2 scoops natural Vega
1/4 cup black sesame seeds
juice from 1 lemon (about 2tbs)
pinch sea salt
1/2 cup soaked quinoa
1/2 cup frozen berries

Directions:
1) Put everything in a food processor except for the last two ingredients. Process until a dough ball is formed.
2) Scoop batter into a bowl. Stir in quinoa & frozen berries. Roll into balls, shape into bars, or press into cookie cutters.
3) It's munchin' time!

Char xo

2 comments:

milo_zdravko said...

I'm definitely going to try these. I love that they have quinoa in them!

Char said...

I love quinoa :) these are waaaay addicting!

Post a Comment