Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

Italian Quinoa!

So I've been able to stay almost 100% raw, except for 2 nights a week when I cook for the family where I do respite care. As I've said before: I love to cook (or "prepare food," whatevskies), & they love when I cook :) It's win-win. I try not to use canned stuff anymore, but sometimes I don't have a choice. I do my best to eat healthy, but don't beat myself up when I make choices that are less than ideal. This isn't "raw or nothing," my friends :) It's as equally important to be mentally healthy as it is to be physically healthy.
I've made a similar recipe to this before, called Italian Rice. My mom actually helped me name it. I was thinking, "It's kind of like spaghetti, but...with...rice....?" And so, Italian Rice!
There was no brown rice kickin' around in their pantry, & I try to avoid white stuff whenever possible. Quinoaaaaa to the rescue!! I lovelovelove quinoa! :) Did you know that it is a complete protein?? Uh huh, yep, it is. C, the girl that I give care for, suggested to add kidney beans to this dish, too! It was such a good idea! Not only did it make it super yummy, but also very very pretty. I love pretty food :)
Though I use a spaghetti-like sauce, the quinoa (or rice) absorbs it in a way that pasta noodles don't. I actually find this tastier & more filling than spaghetti. Give it a try! And of course, it's gluten-free ;)

From my kitchen, to yours <3

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups quinoa, dry
3 cups water
1 can kidney beans, drained (540ml)
1-2tbs coconut oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red onion, diced
3 stalks celery, chopped
6 carrots, chopped
1 zuchinni, chopped
1 can tomato sauce (398ml)
sea salt, to taste

Directions:
1) Put quinoa & water in a pot on a stove. Bring to a boil. Stir, reduce to minimum. Cover & let simmer for 20minutes, or until water is absorbed.
2) Meanwhile, in a large wok over medium heat, saute garlic & red onion in coconut oil until browned & fragrant. Add celery & carrots; cover & let the veggies sweat.
3) When the veggies start to soften (about 5minutes), add zuchinni. Cover for another 5minutes.
4) While veggies are tenderizing, mix tomato sauce & sea salt into prepared quinoa. Stir well, & add kidney beans.
5) Lastly, stir in the veggies! Mix everything up well. Scoop into bowls & enjoy :)

Char xo

1 comment:

westcoastsoul said...

Mmm I love quinoa too :D

Post a Comment