Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Marrakesh Curried Stew

So remember I told you about my visiting Fresh Restaurant in Toronto with Lolo & Melissa? Well…Lolo bought two of their recipe books: one for herself, & one for me! (Thanks again, Lolo!! <3) This one stew recipe really stood out to me; I had to make it! Not a want or desire; it was a physical need. Maybe I’m exaggerating slightly ;) I have an incredible passion for ethnic foods: No burgers or pizza for me, thank you :) Bring on the curries, stirfries, sushi, etc!
I didn’t want to stray too far from the original recipe, only because I’d never made a stew like this before. Yeah, I’ve made a curried stewp, but this one was very different.
I cut the recipe in half, but used exact measurements & everything…I never do that! The only other thing I changed was using my slow cooker as opposed to stove top. You can obviously do the opposite; I just chopped the veggies I needed first, & let them cook in my slow cooker as I prepped the other ones.
I was curious about the cinnamon: cinnamon & curry? Wtf? Oh, yeah, there’s good reason for it in there :) It balances nicely with the coconut & curry. And the raisins? The sweetness of them, combined with the cinnamon, compliments the spiciness of the curry. Much love for this dish! <3
Not a huge fan of spicy? I suggest cutting the amount of curry in half. I didn’t do that, though; I like it hot ;)

Ingredients:
1 onion, peeled & cut in chunks
1 carrot, cut in chunks
1 cup veggie stock
1 cup coconut mylk
1/2 tsp cinammon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbs curry powder
2 tbs cumin, ground
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 white potato, cut in chunks
1 yam, cut in chunks
1/2 small eggplant, cut in chunks
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, cut in chunks
1/2 red pepper, cut in chunks
1/2 zucchini, cut in chunks
1 cup cooked or canned chick peas
1 1/2 tbs raisins
1 tbs grated coconut
sea salt, to taste

Directions:
1) With your slow cooker turned on to the highest setting, put carrots, onions, & 1/4 cup of veggie stock into the pot. Allow them to simmer until onions soften a bit, about 10 minutes if using the slow cooker.
2) Add the coconut mylk & spices; stir. Allow to cook for a few more minutes.
3) Add the white potato, yam, & the rest of the veggie stock. Cover & let cook for about 25-30mins.
4) Add the remaining ingredients. Stir, cover & cook until vegetables are soft (about 2 hours).
5) Add sea salt to taste, if desired. Serve warm :)

peace, love, food, culture <3

Char, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment