Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Mexican Chocolate Rice Pudding

With almost a full carton of unsweetened almond mylk waiting to be used up in the fridge, I searched through my favourite cookbooks for an idea of what to make...and then I found it.

Okay first thing, I love rice pudding. Second, I would marry chocolate if it showed up on my doorstep in human form. And third...well I don't need a third point. This is Mexican Chocolate Rice Pudding!

Now I know the picture doesn't look like much, but omg. It's like rice pudding mixed with chocolate mylk, but better. It's thick, delicious, satisfying, and healthy :) No sugar, no dairy, no gluten! It's like discovering a chocolate and carb covered oasis that I never wanted to leave <3

Though I changed a couple things about the recipe, I have to give full credit to Isa Chandra Moskowitz, "America's Most Awesome Vegan Chef." The recipe is from her book "Vegan with a Vengeance," and it is definitely worth owning: I've used many recipes from that book, and it continues to be one of my faves. Below is the pudding recipe as I made it :) Much love <3

Ingredients:
1 cup brown sushi rice
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups unsweetened almond mylk
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp cinammon
2 ounces semisweet chocolate (I used chocolate chips!)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tbs vanilla extract

Directions:
1) Place brown rice, water, and 1 1/2 cups of the almond mylk in a pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, until rice is almost cooked.
2) Stir in cocoa, cinammon, and semisweet chocolate until melted and well-combined. Add remaining ingredients (1/2 cup almond mylk, maple syrup & vanilla extract) and stir constantly for five minutes.
3) Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to chill in fridge until a thick consistency is reached (at least an hour).
4) Serve. Taste. Smile :D

peace, love, food <3
Char, xo

3 comments:

Unknown said...

YUM!!!!!!!!!! This looks seriously good!! I love cinnamon and chocolate together mmm

westcoastsoul said...

OMG I totally have to try this!

Elizabeth said...

That looks really good! I think my kids would really like it--hubby too!
Peace & Raw Health,
E

Post a Comment