Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Kraving A Kale Kreation

I am lucky enough to live a 10-15 minute drive from one of the best raw food restaurants ever. Rawthentic Eatery in Qualicum Beach, BC has, hands down, the BEST kale salad I have ever had in my life. It seriously brought back my love and cravings for the crunchy green stuff. Everytime I go there now, I order the salad as a side with something else. It's too yummy not to.
Anyhoo, I wanted to try re-creating a similar one, because I can't get enough of it. My salad doesn't do Rawthentic's salad justice, but it's still pretty damn good. I made it at like, 11pm the other night, so I would have lunch the next day. But when I ate a piece...I just...couldn't...stop...I devoured half the salad, and I wasn't even hungry at all! I can't get enough kale lately!
A little FYI, the darker the veggie, the more nutrients it contains. Kale contains a whole host of beneficial vitamins, including vitamins K, A, C, and E, manganese, copper, tryptophan, calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, vitamins B1, B2, B3, and B6, protein, omega 3s, folate, and phosphorus. Need more reason to eat it? It's also one of the veggies highest in chlorophyll (plant's blood), which helps regenerate tissues, extract toxins, helps assimilate minerals such as calcium and magnesium, improves oxygen supply by stimulating red blood cells, and so on. EAT KALE! :)
Anyhoo, this recipe is fairly similar to the one for my cheezy asparagus. Either sauce will work on this. This pretty much takes no prep work. While preparing the sauce, I put my kale in the dehydrator, just to wilt it a bit, not dry it out. This is optional. yummmaaayyy!!

Ingredients:
1 bunch kale, chopped
1 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup pine nuts, soaked
1 tbs lemon juice (from half a lemon)
1 tbs nutritional yeast
2tbs water

Directions:
1) Dehydrate chopped kale at 104 degrees, for 30mins to an hour, just enough to soften.
2) Meanwhile, put your garlic and sea salt in the food processor and process.
3) Add pine nuts, and destroy them :)
4) Add remaining ingredients, and continue to process.
5) In a large bowl, toss kale with sauce. Serve immediately, or store in the fridge for later.

4 comments:

westcoastsoul said...

Ahh you live on the island! My whole family is from there :D Thanks for all the kale info, I'm looking forward to trying this salad!

Char said...

Yess, I do, it's beautiful here :) Next time you come to visit your family, you should all try out that restaurant! All of their food is incredible. I hope you enjoy the salad :)

westcoastsoul said...

It's officially on my to do list :)

Char said...

awesome :)

Post a Comment