Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Mexican Quinoa!!!

Ohhhh yesssssss, I did!! ;) People seem to be all over quinoa lately. I've heard reports back on success with my Berry Chocolate-y Vega Cookies, Italian Quinoa, & Curried Tomato Quinoa. I've also had requests for a Mexican version, & so I am delivering! This is my favourite of them all. Seriously. I tried it first plain, then with some Toffuti Sour Supreme (pictured) mixed in, & then with avocado. All 3 ways tasted great, but between the Tofutti & avocado, I prefer the avocado...mostly for the taste, but also because I try to choose whole foods over processed ones. I don't often eat soy...it's maybe a couple of times a month that I treat myself, in moderation. I truly do love Toffuti's products, though. They make an AMAZING soy cream cheese, for those of you having a hard time kicking the bagels. It was a great transition food for me.
(Btw, I also tried the Sour Supreme in my Curried Tomato Quinoa. Om nom nom.)
Soooooo, anyhoo, I promise you will lovelovelove this! :) It brought back fond memories of Mexico. They truly know how to design meals in that country. I find ethnic foods incredibly amazing, tasty, & full of flavour. Forget the burgers & fries, bring on the avocados, salsa, & beans! Enjoy, foodies! 

Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa, dry
2 cups water
1-2 tbs coconut oil, for frying
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup broccoli, chopped
1 cup corn kernels, frozen
1 can black beans, drained (398ml)
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup salsa
1 avocado or Tofutti Sour Supreme (for topping)
sea salt, to taste

Directions:
1) Prepare quinoa with water according to package directions.
2) Meanwhile, in a large wok over medium heat, saute garlic & onions in coconut oil until golden.
3) Add carrots, broccoli, & corn. Continue to saute for 6-8 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
4) Add black beans & tomato paste. Stir well. Then add the salsa.
5) Reduce the heat to minimum, & stir in the sea salt & prepared quinoa.
6) For serving, either mash in the avocado (to the whole mixture), or serve Sour Supreme to taste on each dish.

de nada, mi amigos :) Adora preparar alimento mexicano <3

Char, xo 


1 comment:

westcoastsoul said...

OMG this sounds soooo good!

Post a Comment