Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

CHRISTMAS! Spinach Quiche, Tofurky Dinner, Shortbread Cookies!

What would Christmas day be without a little indulgence? ;)
I've been staying in Lacombe/Edmonton, Alberta since December 16, as I have many family and friends here. Best part? I'm not going home until January 4th :)
Remember my Auntie Lolo? She came out here on Christmas Eve, and we stayed with my Dad & stepmom (Lee). The house was FULL: with the four of us, plus my sister and her boyfriend, my stepsister and her boyfriend, my stepbrother and his girlfriend, along with their daughter (my niece). Everyone was scattered through the house, all over the place. It was the best kind of chaos <3
My sister & I prepared the spinach quiche from Besides Cupcakes so we could share it with Auntie Lolo for Christmas breakfast. Results? Amazing. Perfect, perfect quiche <3 It was buttery, cheesy, and light. A yummy start to Christmas day :)

One of my favourite Christmas treats has always been shortbread cookies, though I'd never made them myself before. Taking my Nana's special family recipe, I decided to make them vegan...& everyone was very pleasantly surprised! They were DELICIOUS! :) You must make them...I definitely won't be waiting another year to make more ;)

My family loves to SPOIL me! From my Dad & Lee I received the Seal-a-Meal (for packaging my Char Stars), two bamboo cutting boards, and a beautiful collection of ceramic knives. My sister bought me that beautiful gold martini shaker w/ martini shot glasses (which, I can assure you, has already been put to great use). Auntie Lolo made the gorgeous black apron, complete with a 'C' on it, as well as a little jar of herbs de provence. She also bought me those cute little star cookie cutters (also for my Char Stars), the spatulas, veggie magnets, and banana case...which comes with a shopping bag inside! And you know what? This is only the kitchen-related items I received this year! I was spoiled with many more gifts, too. I love my family :) <3
 When the presents were done, it was onto preparing dinner! We indulged in tofurky w/ a soy sauce and orange juice glaze (recipe on the box), homemade cranberry sauce, stuffing, gravy, plain mashed potatoes, corn, carrots...and a few too many Lolotinis <3
It felt so good to be home for the holidays <3 Especially because it had been 8 years! Plans for next year? We're all spending Christmas together in Mexico! :)

Merry Christmas! <3

Nana's Shortbread Cookies
Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs vegan margarine, softened (I used Becel vegan)
1 cup icing sugar
4 cups flour

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Cream together all ingredients, until batter is well-mixed and smooth.
3) Either use a rolling pin & cookie cutters, or be lazy like me: roll small pieces of dough between palms and flatten.
4) Place cookies on cookie sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes, leaving them a little under-done for a soft, yummy cookie :)

OR! just eat the cookie dough! :D

...just one last present, from me to me:

A right hand ring, to remind me that I am special, amazing, and strong.

"You, yourself, as much as anyone else, deserve your love and affection."
-Buddha


peace, love, food, & family holidays <3
Char, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment